Mergers & Acquisitions
The Ansar Law Firm has specialized in cross-border mergers and acquisitions since its formation in 1999. Prior to that, Mr. Kaamil Ansar, a partner of the firm, gained substantial merger and acquisition experience in New York, London, other countries of Western Europe, and several emerging markets in Eastern Europe, the Middle East, Turkey, India, Pakistan and South East Asia.
The firm has in-depth experience and expertise in a wide range of cross-border merger and acquisition transactions including the following:
- Acquisition of majority or minority interests
- Cash and share or stock mergers
- Joint vetures
- Leveraged buyouts
- Mergers of equals
The firm has represented in these types of transactions international and domestic companies, governments, specialist investment firms, investment banking firms and other parties.
Representative transactions involving the firm or Mr. Ansar include the following:
- Representation of Rorer, Inc., in connection with its combination with Rhone-Poulenc S.A., to form Rhone-Poulenc Rorer, Inc., and the acquisition by Rorer of the human pharmaceutical business of Rhone-Poulenc, for consideration aggregating approximately $3 billion, with The First Boston Corporation and Lehman Brothers.
- Representation of Revlon, Inc., in connection with the sale of its Max Factor and Betrix divisions to The Procter and Gamble Company for approximately $1 billion, with The First Boston Corporation and Lazard Brothers and Goldman Sachs & Co.
- Representation of Anheuser-Busch Companies, Inc., in connection with the acquisition of the Sea World division of Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, for approximately $1.1 billion, with Dillon Read and The First Boston Corporation.
- Representation of the management group in the leveraged buyout of the PYA Mornarch food service businesses of Sara Lee Corp., for consideration aggregating approximately $400 million, and the sale of certain divisions to Kraft, Inc.
- Representation of the investment arm of a Middle Eastern government in connection with an investment in one of the largest financial institutions in Pakistan, the value of the transaction consideration aggregating approximately $730 million.
- Representation of one of the largest private sector conglomerates in Pakistan in connection with the acquisition of the oil and gas assets of Exxon for an undisclosed amount.
- Representation of the Government of Greece in connection with the proposed sale of two state-owned refineries.
- Representation of Balkan Bulgarian Airlines in connection with its proposed privatization and sale of an interest to international strategic partners, including other airlines.
- Representation of Telecom Italia in connection with its investment in the Serbian telecommunications operator for consideration aggregating approximately $1 billion.
- Representation of Massuchusetts Computer Company in connection with a tender offer by Concurrent Computer Corporation for consideration aggregating over $400 million.
- Representation of one of the largest U.S. glass manufacturers in connection with a joint venture with an Indian business group.
- Representation of a Canadian pharmaceutical company in connection with an investment in a U.S. company.
- Representation of Millennium High Yield Growth Fund, a Bermuda-based hedge fund in connection with an investment in a company engaged in the retail business in Pakistan.
- Representation of a Japanese investor in connection with a proposed investment in the cargo business of Saudia Airlines.
- Representation of a Dutch global bank in connection with the restructuring of shareholding arrangements in a financial services firm based in Pakistan and related transactions.
- Representation of a UK investment firm in connection with an investment in a U.S. technology company.
- Representation of a U.S. technology company in connection with the sale of convertible bonds to an affiliate of the Kuwait Fund for Arab Economic Development.
- Advice to a British Virgin Islands investment fund, wholly-owned by an institutional Japanese investor, in connection with the restructuring of advisory arrangements.
- Representation of a UK-based technology firm in connection with the restructuring of subsidiaries, a strategic investment by a global tourism company in an affiliate and related acquisition related transactions.
- Advice to a Cayman Islands investment fund, wholly-owned by an institutional Japanese investor, in connection with a range of investments including an investment in a U.S. technology-based firm.
- Advice to a Singaporean investment advisory firm in connection with the restructuring of group arrangements.
- Representation of a proposed private equity fund based in a GCC country in connection with proposed investments in two Qatari companies involved in plastics recycling, an Indian infrastructure company, a U.S. waste management company, an Indian cellular telecommunications company, a German aerospace company and an Indian ship manufacturing company, amongst others.
- Advice in connection with the acquisition of a licensed advisory firm in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Advice to a major listed Indian company in connection with a proposed investment in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in the metals sector in a project aggregating $3 billion.
- Representation of a GCC life sciences company affiliated with one of the oldest family-held diversified businesses in the GCC in connection with an investment in a German life sciences company listed on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange.
- Representation of a California-based specialist medical radiology outsourcing firm in connection with a $30 million Series Class B investment by The Goldman Sachs Group Inc.
- Representation of a Saudi investment company in connection with a proposed technology related joint venture with a British Virgin Islands company.
- Representation of a Saudi investment company in connection with proposed claims arising against a U.S. technology company following the acquisition of the U.S. company's former distributor.
- Representation of the chief executive officer of a South Asian multinational in connection with corporate and other matters relating to its German parent and Singapore divisional office.
- Representation of a GCC-based Islamic Investment Bank in connection with the formation of a $250 million private equity fund.
- Representation of Qatar Telecom (Qtel) Q.S.C. in connection with a mobile money project involving a strategic alliance and partnership with Qatar National Bank and the negotiation and finalization of relevant technology and other contracts.
- Representation of a GCC-based advisor in connection with an engagement relating to the multi-billion dollar restructuring of a Saudi-based family-owned group.
- Representation of a U.S. investor in connection with the restructuring of the debt of a Mauritius company holding various Indian real estate and other assets.
- Representation of a financial advisory firm in connection with an advisory assignment relating to oil and gas transactions to be originated in the Middle East.
- Representation of an adviser in connection with an advisory assignment in the financial services sector.
- Representation of a financial advisory firm in connection with proposed strategic investment transactions.
- Advice to a U.S./European advisory group in connection with opportunities in the telecommunications sector in South Asia.
- Representation of a U.S.-based healthcare company in connection with a multi-million dollar investment by a global private equity firm.
- Representation of a financial adviser in connection with a proposed acquisition of certain assets held by a holding company in an Asian jurisdiction.