Kaamil Ansar Partner
Bangkok, Kingdom of Thailand
M.A., with Honors, 1982, Christ’s College, Cambridge University, England
LL.M., 1980, Cornell Law School, Ithaca, New York, United States
Barrister of Grays Inn, 1979, London, England
B.A., with Honors, 1978, Christ’s College, Cambridge University, England
Gordonstoun School, 1974, Elgin, Scotland (Guardian/Head of School)
Advocate High Court of Sindh, Karachi, Pakistan 1984
Attorney and Member New York Bar 1986
Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales 2012
Fellow of The American College of Commercial Finance Lawyers (2018)
Mr. Ansar is a Partner and founder of The Ansar Law Firm (and its predecessor firm), a cross-border law firm with offices in New York, New York.
Mr. Ansar has over 37 years’ experience in executing and closing complex cross-border transactions in different practice areas in a number of jurisdictions.
Mr. Ansar is a specialist in infrastructure and international project finance, cross-border mergers and acquisitions including private equity, privatizations and restructurings, and complex financings. He also has extensive experience in Islamic and structured finance.
Mr. Ansar’s experience is diverse and has included representation of clients in the United States, the United Kingdom, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Turkey, Greece, Bulgaria, Hong Kong, Singapore and several countries in the Middle East including the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the State of Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates.
Mr. Ansar has held senior positions at a New-York based preeminent global law firm and has also been a partner at two major U.S. law firms.
Mr. Ansar has spent extensive time on the ground in Karachi, Pakistan, New York, New York, London, England, New Delhi and Mumbai, India, Doha, State of Qata, and Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, in the course of his practice.
1970 – 1974: Gordonstoun
- Gordonstoun Hockey
- Gordonstoun Rugby
- Gordonstoun Tennis
- Captain of Tennis (1974)
- Gordonstoun Tennis Singles Champion (1974)
- Colors awarded in/or lettered in Hockey and Tennis (1974)
1975 – 1978 Christ’s College, Cambridge University
- First Team Hockey
- First Team Tennis
- Christ’s College, Cambridge University Intercollegiate Tennis Champions 1978
Public speaking engagements
Mr. Ansar has given the Sixth Form Lecture to the senior classes at Gordonstoun on the subject of “Taking your Gordonstoun Education to the Next Level.”
Mr. Ansar has spoken extensively at various conferences and similar events, including the following:
- In New Delhi and Mumbai, India, on behalf of various sponsors, including the International Bar Association, in connection with:
- Introduction to Project Finance
- Financing of Energy Projects in India
- Issues relating to the Financing of Power Projects in India
- In Saudi Arabia, on issues relating to the Financing of Energy and Other Infrastructure Projects in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- In London, on the Financing of Energy Projects in the Middle East.
- In Montreal, Canada, April 2016, as a panelist on the subject of “Litigation, Insolvency and Other Things When Projects Go Bad”, sponsored by the Project Finance and Development Committee, Business Law Section, American Bar Association.
- In Austin, Texas, September 2018, as a panelist on the subject “Renewable Energy: Domestic and International Issues and Challenges”, sponsored by the Project Finance and Development Committee, Business Law Section, American Bar Association (Continuing Legal Education Program).
American Bar Association Member
- Business Law Section
- Banking Law Committee
- Corporate Governance Committee
- Federal Regulation of Securities Committee
- Legal Opinions Committee
- Mergers and Acquisitions Committee
- Private Equity and Venture Capital Committee
- White Collar Crime
- Project Finance and Development Committee
- Chair International Subcommittee
- Securitization and Structured Finance Committee
- Section of Environment, Energy and Resources Law
- Forum on Construction Law
- Forum on the Entertainment and Sports Industries
- Infrastructure and Regulated Industries Section
- Section of Intellectual Property Law
- Law Practice Division
- Section on Litigation
Mr. Ansar recently produced and directed a film titled “Pakistan Sport – A Winning Tradition” to raise funds for a leading cancer hospital in Pakistan – a registered charity. The film was broadcast on national network television in Pakistan.
The Critical Importance of Renewable Energy, Business Law Today, a publication of the Business Law Section of the American Bar Association, January 8, 2019.
Contributing Editor, Financing Renewable Energy Projects – A Global Analysis and Review of Related Power Purchase Agreements, January 8, 2019, a publication of the Business Law Section of the American Bar Association.